Thompson Medical Illustration is my independent studio, specializing in the production of graphics for researchers, healthcare providers and medical device makers.
The art I produce is mostly vector with strong lines and a bold style that is perfect for use in education and instruction. Working with traditional and digital media provides my clients with a product that is scalable and easily modified for use in color or in black and white.
Partial Client List
- OPEN Health
- Rising Tide Foundation
- Association of periOperative Registered Nurses (AORN)
- Sound Healthcare Communications
- Rockefeller Neuroscience Institute
- VA Pittsburgh Healthcare System
- Highmark Health / Allegheny Health Network
- University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
- Random House / Ten Speed Press
- The Scientist Magazine
- Johnson & Johnson
- Philips Sonicare
- Hormone Health Network
- American Association of Orthodontists
- Becker Professional Education
- Disney / Disney Interactive Media Group
Molly Thompson McCarthy, CMI
I became a medical illustrator because I love to draw and can never learn enough about biology. I also enjoy the challenge of creating didactic art that meets given specifications.
I completed my undergraduate degree in medical illustration in 2004 and accepted a position at The Ohio State University Medical Center. For four years I created illustrations for journal articles, presentations and patent applications, and designed promotional pieces for the Health Sciences Library and the College of Medicine.
In 2008 I started my own studio in Pittsburgh, PA and joined the Association of Medical Illustrators (AMI) and the Pittsburgh Society of Illustrators (PSI), serving as PSI’s board secretary from 2014 to 2016 and as a committee chair for two juried exhibits.
I earned my certification from the Board of Certification of Medical Illustrators in 2020.
From my home studio in northwestern Pennsylvania, I work with clients locally, across the United States and internationally. My profession has given me the opportunity to associate with experts making the latest advances in healthcare, and to support their communication goals, whether they are educating their patients, marketing a product, or explaining their work to colleagues. I am always inspired by their ability to make new discoveries that help the rest of us understand and improve our health.
Certification, Education & Professional Memberships
- Certification by the Board of Certification of Medical Illustrators: 2020 – Present
- Bachelor of Fine Art in Medical Illustration from the Rochester Institute of Technology: 2004
- Visual & Digital Health Communication Graduate Program at Boston University Metropolitan College: Spring 2023
- American Medical Writers Association: 2022 – Present
- Association of Medical Illustrators: 2008 – Present
- Pittsburgh Society of Illustrators: 2008 – Present